Great comeback stories give us hope. We can all relate to the experience of spending time in difficult places where we wondered if we were ever going to make it back. We’ve all been in seasons when we’ve longed for something better than what we’re experiencing right now. We could all use a fresh start, a change of heart, or a powerful spiritual turnaround.
What kind of challenge are you facing today?
- Maybe you’re facing conflict with your friends, coworkers, or relatives. Relationships are strained, and you don’t know what to do. You need a comeback to renewed relationships.
- Maybe you’re struggling to overcome an addiction or some sort of sin. You need a comeback from despair and darkness to victory, strength, and confidence.
- Perhaps you’re overwhelmed at work. Or you can’t find a job. Or you feel stuck in a dead- end job and it seems like there’s no way forward. You need a fresh perspective, a new direction.
- Perhaps a close relationship is on the rocks, and you wonder if you’re going to make it through. You need to rekindle the love you once felt for each other.
- Maybe you have all the money and resources in the world, but your life feels empty. You need a new purpose, a bigger purpose than you’ve ever had before.
- Maybe you’re grieving deeply because of a great loss. You need perspective in your pain. You need to journey forward in spite of your grief.
- Maybe the problem is a serious and deep disappointment: life hasn’t turned out for you the way you hoped it would. You’re disillusioned or directionless. You want to know which way to go.
When a difficult season descends on us, sometimes we’re there for a short time. But at other times it seems we find ourselves in that season for what seems like forever. We long to return to a place where an obstacle isn’t a problem anymore.
The good news is that the life Jesus calls us all to enter is a life of comeback. On the one hand, it may be the kind of comeback where we overcome obstacles by God’s power. On the other hand, it may be a deeper sort of comeback, where Jesus redeems the worst of circumstances for his glory and our best.
In this latter kind of comeback, maybe the problems we’re wrestling with won’t be solved—at least not in our lifetimes. Yet God offers us his presence in the middle of our problems. In his presence we find a deeper sort of solution, one that holds forth fulfillment, peace, a knowledge that he provides, and the hope that he has a wider purpose for our lives than we could ever think up or live out on our own.
The big hope ahead is that when we’re at a low, God offers us a hand up. He holds forth a better way of living, a way filled with freedom, strength, peace, and Jesus. Through fires and trials, God offers us a closer walk with him.
— Louie Giglio, The Comeback
How to Use This Book
The Comeback is the powerful new book from Louie Giglio, pastor of Passion City Church in Atlanta, GA and the founder of Passion Conferences. The Comeback celebrates new beginnings, offering encouragement and perspective to those who feel they’ve lost their way – because God’s plans will always prevail, even when our plans won’t.