A Legacy of Preaching, Volume One—Apostles to the Revivalists: The Life, Theology, and Method of History’s Great Preachers
- Regular price
- Sale price
A Legacy of Preaching, Volume One--Apostles to the Revivalists explores the history and development of preaching through a biographical and theological examination of its most important preachers. Instead of teaching the history of preaching from the perspective of movements and eras, each contributor tells the story of a particular preacher in history, allowing the preachers from the past to come alive and instruct us through their lives, theologies, and methods of preaching.
Each chapter introduces readers to a key figure in the history of preaching, followed by an analysis of the theological views that shaped their preaching, their methodology of sermon preparation and delivery, and an appraisal of the significant contributions they have made to the history of preaching. This diverse collection of familiar and lesser-known individuals provides a detailed and fascinating look at what it has meant to communicate the gospel over the past two thousand years. By looking at how the gospel has been communicated over time and across different cultures, pastors, scholars, and homiletics students can enrich their own understanding and practice of preaching for application today.
Volume One covers the period from the apostles to the revivalists and profiles thirty preachers including:
- Paul by Eric Rowe
- Peter by David R. Beck
- Melito of Sardis by Paul A. Hartog
- Origen of Alexandria by Stephen O. Presley
- Ephrem the Syrian by Jonathan J. Armstrong
- Basil of Caesarea by Jonathan Morgan
- John Chrysostom by Paul A. Hartog
- Augustine of Hippo by Edward L. Smither
- Gregory the Great by W. Brian Shelton
- Bernard of Clairvaux by Elizabeth Hoare
- Francis of Assisi by Timothy D. Holder
- Saint Bonaventure by G. R. Evans
- Meister Eckhart by Daniel Fărcaș
- Johannes Tauler by Byard Bennett
- John Huss by Mark A. Howell
- Girolamo Savonarola by W. Brian Shelton
- Martin Luther by Robert Kolb
- Ulrich Zwingli by Kevin L. King
- Balthasar Hubmaier by Corneliu C. Simuț
- William Tyndale by Scott A. Wenig
- John Calvin by Anthony N. S. Lane
- William Perkins by Dwayne Milioni
- Richard Baxter by Simon Vibert
- John Owen by Henry M. Knapp
- John Bunyan by Larry Steven McDonald
- Matthew Henry by William C. Watson and W. Ross Hastings
- François Fénelon by Martin I. Klauber
- Jonathan Edwards by Gerald R. McDermott
- John Wesley by Michael Pasquarello III
- George Whitefield by Bill Curtis and Timothy McKnight
Volume Two, available separately, covers the period from the Enlightenment to the present day and profiles thirty-one preachers including Charles Haddon Spurgeon, Karl Barth, John Stott, Martin Luther King Jr., Billy Graham, and more.Read Less
- Contributor(s)Benjamin K. Forrest , Kevin King Sr. , William J. Curtis , Dwayne Milioni
- About the Contributor(s) Benjamin K. Forrest (EdD, Liberty University) is professor of Christian education and associate dean at Liberty University. He is coauthor...
Benjamin K. Forrest (EdD, Liberty University) is professor of Christian education and associate dean at Liberty University. He is coauthor of Surviving and Thriving in Seminary (w/ H. D. Zacharias, Lexham, 2017), Good Arguments: Making Your Case in Writing and Public Speaking (w/ R. A. Holland, Baker Academic, 2017), and coeditor of Biblical Leadership: Theology for the Everyday Leader (w/ Chet Roden, Kregel, 2017).
Kevin L. King (D.Min., Southern Baptist Theological Seminary; Ph.D., University of Pretoria) is Professor of Homiletics and Historical Theology at Liberty University.
William J. Curtis (Ph.D., Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary) is Associate Professor of Homiletics at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. He is co-author of Engaging Exposition (B&H, w/ Akin and Rummage), and is senior pastor of Cornerstone Baptist Church in Darlington, South Carolina.
Dwayne Milioni (Ph.D., Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary) is Professor of Preaching and the director of the Ph.D. in Homiletics at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. He is also the senior pastor of Open Door Church in Wake Forest, NC.show more
- Publish Date11/13/2018
- PublisherZondervan Academic
- Format Hardcover
- Weight (lbs)1.42 lb
- Case Weight (lbs)22.79 lb
- Dimensions 9.3(h) x 6.3(w) x 1.62(d) inches
- Price $34.99
add corresponding quantity to see pricing
Ordering more than 2,000? Call 800-727-3480 to save even more!
eBooks purchased here are fulfilled by our partner, Glose. Please note that:
- To access your eBooks, you can download the free Glose app or read instantly in your browser by creating a Glose account using the same email address you use to purchase the eBooks.
- eBooks fulfilled through Glose cannot be printed, downloaded as PDF, or read in other digital readers (like Kindle or Nook).
- For more information about how to access eBooks purchased on this site, click here for our FAQs.