Preaching God's Word, Second Edition: A Hands-On Approach to Preparing, Developing, and Delivering the Sermon
- Regular price
- Sale price
People in churches today are hungry for a word from God. Preachers need to prepare and deliver sound biblical sermons that connect with their audience in a meaningful way. Whether you are a student who is new to preaching or a veteran looking to brush up your preaching skills, you will benefit from Preaching God's Word.
Good preaching begins with good exegesis. The second edition of Preaching God's Word is a user-friendly, practical, and proven textbook that walks you through the five steps of the "Interpretive Journey" from the biblical text to contemporary application:
- Grasp the text in their town (what it meant to the original audience).
- Measure the width of the river that separates the biblical context from today.
- Cross the principle bridge by identifying the timeless theological principles.
- Consult the biblical map.
- Grasp the text in our town.
While the science of solid biblical interpretation is essential to effective preaching, it must be married to the art of contemporary communication in order to bring the message home. Preaching God's Word also shows you how to understand your audience, develop powerful applications, use illustrations well, and deliver the sermon effectively. The concluding chapters discuss the unique preaching challenges presented by the various biblical genres, providing interpretive keys, things to avoid, and numerous examples.Read Less
- Contributor(s)Terry G. Carter , J. Scott Duvall , J. Daniel Hays
- About the Contributor(s) Terry G. Carter (PhD, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary) is chair of the department of Christian ministries and holder of the...
Terry G. Carter (PhD, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary) is chair of the department of Christian ministries and holder of the W.O. Vaught Chair in the Pruet School of Christian Studies at Ouachita Baptist University. He teaches homiletics, pastoral ministry, Christian history, evangelism and church growth, missions, and survey of the Bible. He is author of The Journal and Selected Letters of William Carey.
J. Scott Duvall (PhD, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary) is professor of New Testament at Ouachita Baptist University. He is the coauthor with George H. Guthrie of Biblical Greek Exegesis: A Graded Approach to Learning Intermediate and Advanced Greek and with Terry G. Carter and J. Daniel Hays of the textbook Preaching God's Word: A Hands on Approach to Preparing, Developing and Delivering the Sermon.
- From Every People and Nation, and he has coauthored Grasping God's Word; Preaching God's Word; Journey into God’s Word; The Story of Israel: A Biblical Theology; Iraq: Babylon of the End Times?; Apocalypse; and The Dictionary of Biblical Prophecy. He teaches adult Sunday school at his local church in Arkadelphia, Arkansas, and preaches frequently throughout the nation.
- Publish Date02/06/2018
- PublisherZondervan Academic
- Format Hardcover
- Weight (lbs)1.43 lb
- Case Weight (lbs)20.03 lb
- Dimensions 9.5(h) x 7.5(w) x 1.0(d) inches
- Price $26.59
add corresponding quantity to see pricing
Ordering more than 2,000? Call 800-727-3480 to save even more!