From Genesis to Revelation, the Bible reveals a God whose creative power and loving care embrace all that exists, from earth and sky and sea to every creeping, crawling, swimming, and flying creature. Yet the significance of the Bible's extensive teaching about the natural world is easily overlooked by Christians accustomed to focusing only on what the Bible says about God's interaction with human beings.
In Creation Care Video Lectures father and son team Douglas and Jonathan Moo invite viewers to open their Bibles afresh to explore the place of the natural world within God's purposes and to celebrate God's love as displayed in creation and new creation. Following the contours of the biblical storyline, they uncover answers to questions such as:
- What is the purpose of the non-human creation?
- Can a world with things like predators, parasites, and natural disasters still be the "good" world described in Genesis 1?
- What difference does the narrative of the "Fall" make for humankind's responsibility to rule over other creatures?
- Does Israel's experience on the land have anything to teach Christians about their relationship with the earth?
- What difference does Jesus make for our understanding of the natural world?
- How does our call to care for creation fit within the hope for a new heaven and a new earth?
- What is unique about Christian creation care compared with other approaches to "environmental" issues?
- How does creation care fit within the charge to proclaim the gospel and care for the poor?
In addition to providing a comprehensive biblical theology of creation care, they probe behind the headlines and politicized rhetoric about an "environmental crisis" and climate change to provide a careful and judicious analysis of the most up-to-date scientific data about the state of our world. They conclude by setting forth a bold framework and practical suggestions for an effective and faithful Christian response to the scriptural teaching about the created world.
Session Titles and Runtimes:
0 - Introduction (2 min)
1 - What Do Christians Have to Do with Creation? (23 min)
2 - How Do We Think Biblically and Theologically about Creation? (22 min)
3 - A Beautiful World (25 min)
4 - Members, Rulers, and Keepers of Creation (22 min)
5 - Humanity and the Earth, Israel and the Land (25 min)
6 - A Creation Subjected to Frustration (16 min)
7 - Jesus and Creation (23 min)
8 - "What Counts Is the New Creation"(20 min)
9 - "I Am Making Everything New!" (23 min)
10 - The Gospel and Creation Care (20 min)
11 - Humans and Creation: Understanding Our Place (13 min)
12 - Wisdom and Creation Care (12 min)
13 - Creation in Crisis? (32 min)
14 - Caring for Creation and Worshipping the Creator (23 min)